Every summer I vow not to overwhelm my summer with work. And I mean to stick with it so I can spend time with family and get things done around my house (and relax too).
But right before the summer, people realize I am a free and offer me the most amazing opportunities to work with them or they tell me about an amazing job that their friend has open.
And every summer I fold and take the job. I like the money. I like the opportunity to try new things in an environment with new people.
But even more – I love the challenge.
Tonight I ran into an old friend/co-worker from many years ago. He started his own company and he asked me to come join his team on something I have little experience with. And because I wanted my summer, I told him that I haven’t done much in that area but I was interested in it. He didn’t care as he entered my info into his cell.
Exciting stuff – now I just have to figure out how to plan summer around it.
June always makes people sentimental. I received this from an old student.
Ms. XXXXX, I hope that all has just been splendid for you. I really am grateful for all of the skills you taught me, not only in computer science, but also in being a genuine and true hard worker. I sometimes find myself flipping through my JHS signature book and your note always puts a smile on my face. I honestly took all of your words to heart. Thank you so much for being there for me those three fantastic years.
All the best,
Feeling – blessed (BTW I love the word splendid because no one ever says it).
June 4, 2011………I hate June 4th. The world lost a beautiful girl. She would have been picking out a prom dress and graduating high school this year.
I wish I could wipe the date off the calendar or get a redo.
RIP Aileen Chen
Some days my students really amaze me. Today was one of those days. I love days when they shine and really put their all into their work.
It’s the end of the school year and I am tired, but so proud of them
Queens – another child lost – senselessly – to bullying.
Even after we teach kids not to bully, some are still bullying each other.
Parents aren’t watching closely enough because computers have become babysitters.
The world has changed and the laws needs to change so that children are protected.
RIP Gabrielle Molina.
I love this photo. While the tourists are taking pictures of NYC, I took a picture of the new Citibikes. They will bring NYC a good amount of cash that no one will ever see.
To use these bikes all over NYC, you can either pay a yearly fee, a weekly fee or daily fee. It’s great for tourists. The only problem is that it is in limited places in Manhattan and at the edge of Brooklyn (see cool map here)
Most people I know already have a bike. I think 95% of people who sign up will be smart and safe, but there will always be that 5% of people who don’t know what they are doing. And of course the media will capture those people on film.
Bay Ridge I couldn’t thank you enough for having my back! I appreciate the immediate phone calls, texts and your contacts. It’s good to know that so many strangers would reach out to me when they knew something was wrong.
I don’t think his wife knows what he is doing because she’s an educator and no educator would allow that. He’s just embarrassing her by being an idiot. *I appreciate all the educators who reached out to me.* I hope I can do the same for you one day.
I have contacted the proper channels and they are handling things. I will elaborate more when things are concluded.
If you have no idea what this is about, go to my other blog to get the full story. Comments have been turned off because although I appreciate them, I think they are better said to me in e-mail.
We had an amazing weekend.
When we saw our house the first time, I loved everything about it except the bathrooms and the doorknobs.
The bathrooms had recently been redone before we purchased it, but the main bathroom had a pedestal sink and that’s just not my style. I know many people love to put in pedestal sinks when they remodel, but I don’t like their lack of storage.
For my birthday, I asked Lee for a new vanity/sink/facet AND FOR HIM TO INSTALL IT RIGHT AWAY. I picked them out and showed him the pictures and he was thrilled to not have to think about what to get me.
Lickity split Lee installed the new components. Seriously – he does home repair with such ease. And the thing that makes me most happy is that Lee likes doing things to make me happy. When he was done and I had gushed over the new bathroom furniture, I asked him – Is this our style? His response: Yeah it’s gorgeous.
I wish I wasn’t such a lazy blogger or I would take a photo now, but have some mercy on me – I am a teacher with a month left of school!
Hey how many of you were lucky to get the Republicans for Change Mailing? What’s that you didn’t get it yet?
I don’t think you are missing anything as it looks like the group running it is exactly the people who we need to change so we can have some progress in Bay Ridge.
There is a certain Republican Senator’s office in Bay Ridge which we reached out to with a simple problem in June 2012 and they would not assist us even after reminders. And the head of the office (which may be one of the organizers of this new group) did not reach out to me when he saw what I wrote on Twitter EVEN AFTER KNOWING I VOTED FOR GOLDEN.
They like to come to my blog all of the time instead of doing their job. Look:
Tuesday, May 13th:
Thursday, May 16th (yes today):
There isn’t much info around about the Republicans for change group online and anyone who is anyone has a Facebook/Twitter or website if they are legit. The invite names the Bay Ridge Manor as the location (surprise surprise) and the speakers.
A closed box – an envelope in his writing – a wad of cash – Found on one of the most important days of the year…………just a sign that he is looking over all of us.
* I was lucky to have known him and been loved by him. *
Hop over to the other blog to see the pictures & what we are going to do with the cash.
- Teens over 14 by July 1st can apply to work in the NYC SYEP Program. Basically, teens help out and run games at schools where there are summer programs. The application is open until May 22nd. Where most jobs won’t take 14 or 15 year olds in Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island and the Bronx, SYEP does!) Looking for a summer job at the premier New York beach and pool club? Here are this season’s job openings at the Sea Gate Beach Club. If you would like to apply for a job, please call: (718) 372 – 4477 or send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (see here)
- 16 year olds can apply for: Jobs as Seagate Beach Club: Cabana Staff, Bathroom Matrons, Counter People and those who are Red Cross certified can apply to be Life Guards (Pool and Waterfront). Those who are 18 year olds can also apply to be Security (front gate and beach)
- Teens between the ages of 16 and 18 can apply for the Brooklyn Borough President’s Summer Heat Program – application here.
Part-time and full-time is available, but nighttime and weekend availability is a must. Duties include preparing and serving seafood rolls and other simple dishes, taking orders and cashier work, opening, closing, as well as manning fun outdoor markets and fairs. We’re also looking for summer interns now, too! Please e-mail Haleigh (hireME@lukeslobster.com) with your resume and a paragraph or two about who you are and why you’re right for the job. $10 an hour plus tips
- Carroll Gardens clam shack /seafood restaurant is seeking hard working, resourceful, upbeat and friendly; servers, bartenders, food runners, barbacks, bussers and hosts. Servers and bartenders must have strong food knowledge, especially in seafood – as well as strong restaurant serving and bartending experience; and a proven history of excellence in the restaurant/service business. Please email your resume in the body of your email, NO ATTACHMENTS! Be available to work at least 3 shifts a week, with Sat and Sunday brunches a must. If you cannot work brunches, do not respond. Send to: email@example.com
- If you are a teen who is fluent in Spanish you can apply to T-mobile at 50th Street and 5th Avenue to sell cellphones (see posting)
- Grooming Assistant at Petco in Brooklyn 2601 – 86th Street (Apply here)
- Dog walkers are needed at many places in posh areas like Park Slope, Murray Hill and Downtown Brooklyn because people go away and leave their dogs at home. Do YELP search for dog walking services and call them up.
- Work at Chipolte Grill in 11209 (apply here)
- Dominoes at 554 5th Avenue is seeking help